Unit – The Chemistry of Life
Topic – Matter, Elements, and Atoms
Read the following article:
- At the most basic level, what is all life made of?
- Everything you are, including your consciousness, is a byproduct of what?
- What is matter?
- All matter is made up of elements. Explain.
- How many elements are there? How many occur naturally? Where did the other elements come from?
- Why is the chemical symbol for sodium Na?
- What are the four elements common to all living organisms?
- An atom consists of two regions. Explain.
- What is an uncharged, neutral atom?
- What is most of the volume of an atom made of? Explain why this is so.
- With all of the empty space in an atom, why don’t solid objects just pass through one another?