Introduction to Heredity
Watch the following video:
1) Even before the scientific study of heredity, people noticed that if a blue-eyed person had children with a brown-eyed person, this would likely happen.
2) Who is the father of classical genetics and heredity? Write a brief biography about what he did. In addition to getting some information from the video, go on Google and find out more about what he did.
3) What is an allele?
4) What is the difference between a dominant gene and a recessive gene?
5) What is the difference between genotype and phenotype? In addition to your definitions, provide an example regarding eye colour.
6) If your eye colour genes are homozygote dominant, what colour are your parent’s eyes?
7) If your eye colour genes are heterozygote dominant, what colour are your parent’s eyes?
8) Let’s say both your mom and dad have heterozygote dominant eye genes. Draw a labelled chart showing all the eye gene combinations that are possible for each child they have. (Be sure to tell me what B and b mean in your chart.)
9) Using the above example, what is the probability of one of their children having brown eyes?
10) Using the above example from your chart, what is the probability of your parents producing a heterozygote child with regards to eye colour?